Okay, vacation is over. Time to get back to work tomorrow. Boo.
Although, I do love my job – it was nice to get away for a bit!
So to start the week out, I decided to try Mason Jar Salads for a quick lunch during the week.
I did a bit of research and found a site called Organize Yourself Skinny! Love this site!
She has a specific post that goes into detail on how to layer your mason jar salad and even provides some recipes that I ended up trying.
You can find her post here called The Ultimate Mason Jar Salad Tutorial.
As I get used to this meal prep process, I hope to create my own recipes to post here just for you all too!
Anywho, the first recipe I used was from Organize Yourself Skinny which is her Greek Salad recipe. I changed some of the ingredients to what I preferred from the store. However, this was definitely a basic recipe with only a few ingredients. I put my change in ingredient below the recipe original:
- 5 quart size wide mouth mason jars
- 10 tablespoons Newmans Own Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup pitted greek olives, sliced or chopped
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups chopped or shredded rotisserie chicken
- I used 1lb Publix Chicken Tenderloins cooked
- 5 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- I mixed romaine and spinach lettuce
I layered the ingredients in the mason jars as listed & here you go folks! A delicious salad that I am so ready to have for the week!
Now for the next salad.
Yep. It had me at Shrimp & Feta.
I found the link to this delicious salad from Organize Yourself Skinny, but the original recipe came from Savoring the Thyme.
Let me just say, the ingredients to this salad are absolutely delish! I used the same dressing as the previous recipe, but kept all the original ingredients (minus the onions – because Matty does not like onions).
- 5 large quart mason jars
- 10 tablespoons of your dressing of choice
- 8 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, chopped (held – this is a Matty no no)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 2 large avocados, chopped
- 3/4 cup of chopped reduced-fat feta
- 5 boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 10 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- 5 cups of romaine lettuce and baby spinach
Layer all the ingredients in the mason jar as listed. And you a have quite the salad!
Now I have to add, I will probably shake the salad and pour it out into a bowl. It just seems too packed in the mason jar to eat and get all the flavors.
However, love the fact that all the ingredients are in one container….ready to go!
I hope this helps you to jump start your meal prep too!
Do you have any meal prepping suggestions? Did you try the recipes? Let me know how you liked them below!
Have a great week guys!
xoxo, Robyn ❤