After a fantastic night with friends watching fireworks nearby on Sunday evening, we started our Fourth of July with a trip to New Smyrna Beach to visit with Matt’s brother and his girlfriend. We had an amazing time, but it was incredibly hot!
After a couple of hours, we had to head back home. But of course we couldn’t leave NSB without visiting The Dolphin View Restaurant for some delicious mahi sandwiches!
During the drive home, I was trying to figure out what to have for dinner that would be Fourth of July festive, but still somewhat healthy. I decided to go for the good ol’ turkey burger with some baked sweet potato fries!
Of course, as I started to make my turkey burger I figured it would be way better with cheese stuffed in the middle rather than your typical “melted on top” version.
So….voila! I came up with Picante Provolone Stuffed Turkey Burgers with Sweet Potato Fries.
Yes. It was as good as it looks.
Matt gave me his “I could have this every night” comment. When I get that, it means it’s a recipe for the books.
Oh….and Matty helped me create this skinny Watermelon Margarita!
My Fourth of July was complete….yum.
We finished the evening walking the neighborhood watching fireworks and lighting our own sparklers! It was such a nice evening!
I hope everyone had a safe and happy fourth!
See the recipes below!
Like what I made? Did you try it too? Let me know in the comments below!
xoxo, Robyn ♥
Picante Provolone Stuffed Turkey Burgers
Makes 3 large burgers
1 lb Ground Turkey
1 large egg
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tbsp panko crumbs
3 slices of Boars Head Picante Provolone Cheese (or cheese of choice)
Olive Oil (Spray or Liquid)
Hamburger Buns of choice (or lettuce cups for an even healthier option!)
6 cherry tomatoes (cut into fourths)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp hot sauce of choice (I used Texas Pete’s)
Salt & Pepper, as desired
Lettuce of Choice
Mustard of Choice (I used yellow, Matt used spicy)
- Cut tomatoes and mix with olive oil, hot sauce, salt & pepper in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Mix ground turkey, egg, chopped onion, garlic, and panko crumbs in mixing bowl with either a wooden spoon or clean hands. Take a small portion of ground turkey in your hand and flatten it. Place a piece of picante provolone cheese folded into a triangle in the center and cover with another small portion of ground turkey. Shape the ground turkey with cheese to your desired hamburger size and place about 1-2 inches apart on an oiled grill pan.
- Heat grill pan to medium-high heat. Cook the turkey burgers for about 5 minutes on one side and then flip. Cook the burgers for another 5-7 minutes on the opposite side until fully cooked.
- Place turkey burgers on your bun of choice and top with lettuce, tomato salsa, condiments.
- Enjoy with a side of sweet potato fries, potato salad, regular salad, whatever you choose!
Refreshing Watermelon Margaritas
1 cup of seedless watermelon, cubed
2 ounces of orange juice (I used Simply Orange Pineapple – my favorite!)
2 ounces of lime juice
3 ounces of tequila silver
1/4 tsp of agave nectar (or sweetener of choice)
4 ice cubes
1 ounce Cointreau
- Pureé watermelon in blender until no more chunks appear.
- Place pureéd watermelon, orange juice, lime juice, tequila, and agave nectar with ice cubes in tin shaker.
- Shake until well blended.
- Serve in your favorite margarita glass and top with 1 ounch of Cointreau. Drink with a straw. Enjoy!